Saturday, May 15, 2010

More testing

Two more KwikSew jackets muslined.

The boyfriend blazer muslin looks just like the pattern photo and I think it is a good update from the 1990's broader shoulder version. There is no collar stand which is a little disappointing but that makes the collar somewhat less fiddly to sew. There are separate upper and lower collar (bias cut) pattern pieces. A lining is included. This should be a fun project.

The biker jacket muslin ended up fitting and looking exactly like the white jacket on the pattern envelope, somewhat roomy and boxy. I like the pattern, everything is proportioned well and it sews up easily but I want more shape. After pinning out some width and length in the bust area for my shape, curving in the side seams, and pinning darts in the back I think it looks very promising. I'll have to think about this one some.

My flesh pink muslin fabric is almost used up, waaahhh! I have enough for one more jacket. Maybe I should just keep going and muslin 3623.

Update: Made a muslin of this double breasted jacket. Not my style really, but a good casual jacket style. Now I'm out of muslin fabric. Time to choose my next project.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Testing, one, two, three...

Testing KwikSew 3334. This might suit the daughter person. I tried the muslin and I might like it for myself. It feels snug in the waist area and a little roomy in the shoulders. Then I got curious and wondered how 3466 compared so I made another muslin.

This pattern has similar lines with the shoulder princess seams in the front and center seam and darts in the back. The difference in cut is subtle but significant. This military looking style has higher armholes and is closer fitting around the shoulders. The sizing is consistent, something KwikSew does well, it is the style that demands the differences in the pattern.

Now I am in muslin mode, why not just make tests of more KwikSew jacket patterns and then I will know how they compare. I have traced 3715 so it is next.

The boyfriend blazer, a (hopefully) updated version of the 90's classic. I had a wool flannel one by J. Crew in that era that I wore all the time. This look and length worked well for me then, we shall see if it can be translated into a current look.

While I'm at it I think I will test 3764 as well.

I like the red illustration. I have a deep red cotton sateen in my stash. I may have do some shaping with this pattern if it is truly as boxy as that white sewn version in the photo.

Soon I'll have a whole wardrobe of muslins, hah! The fabric I'm using is a fleshy pink cotton linen blend that I got from some time ago. It is extra wide, like 90 inches wide, and was about a dollar per yard. Yay for the super sales at!