Questions I ask when I sort my fabric:
- Is this color or texture really me.
- Will I enjoy sewing this fabric or will it be a chore?
- Do I still feel love for the fabric or is it over?
- Do the colors work together?
- How does this fabric work with my existing wardrobe?
- Would I really wear this fabric or is it a fantasy fabric?
Once upon a time I thought using a spreadsheet to manage one's stash was a bit hard core for the sewing room but after a few incidents of forgetting what I had or how many yards a piece was, I was a spreadsheet convert. Most computers come with a simple spreadsheet program and if not, one can download programs like Open Office for free.
Categories I use:
- Color - with the basic color family name first
- Weave or knit - twill, jersey, crepe, etc.
- Fiber content - cotton, silk, wool, etc.
- Fabric width
- Source - where purchased
Now I must get back to updating my spreadsheet!